The tradition of water management and hydraulic engineering in Siegen dates back to 1853, the year in which Siegen’s Wiesenbauschule (Agricultural School) was founded. The Wiesenbauschule trained land improvement technicians and meadow builders who gained a high national as well as international reputation.
Siegen’s Wiesenbauschule evolved steadily, beginning with the Cultural Building School, then the Building School of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, followed by the School of Civil Engineering, until finally the Universität-Gesamthochschule Siegen now called University of Siegen was founded in 1972. The hydraulic laboratory was built in 1966 and managed by Prof. Jochen Kadereit until 1992 followed by Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Jensen until 2021 before Univ.-Prof. Dr. phil. agregação habil. Jorge Leandro present head of the chair and the hydraulic engineering laboratory became his successor in that same year.
Together with the Chair of Geotechnical Engineering and the Chair of Water Management Risk Assessment and Climate Impact Research, the Chair of Hydromechanics and Hydraulic Engineering forms the Research Institute Water and Environment (fwu), which was founded in 1994.
After the restructuring of the University of Siegen in 2011 today’s Chair of Hydromechanics and Hydraulic Engineering under the direction of Prof. Jorge Leandro is embedded in the Department Civil Engineering within the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Siegen.